Thursday, January 26, 2012

TurboScan App


Tap that app #2: Scanning App 


Here was my need:

    For my Lit. class, I had drawn a graph showing the progressing plot of the novel we were reading.  My teacher needed the paper on our Wiggio group (Online website that helps our class see each other's papers, and comment/edit as necessary).
    The problem was... how was I going to get my graph onto my computer?  I could scan my paper with my printer onto the computer, but the end result is always grainy and I have only used scan once or twice in my life (I am too young to have experience in faxing).  If I had been smart I would have just made the graph on a Word or Pages document, but I am still really slow at adding graphs and I didn't have the time.   I was tapping through the App store when I came across something called a scanning app.

For me, time is key.  If something can save me time in school so I can move onto the next subject well Hallelujah!




TurboScan

      Basically, the scanning app takes a photo of your document with your camera, you edit what it will look like, and it changes the photo to a PDF, PGN, or JPEG file.  Voilá!  You can choose to save the new file to your phone, or e-mail it right then.   TurboScan, and other fancy versions can also send files to several different online storage sites such as; Evernote, iDisk, Mobile Me, Box.Net, Humyo, and GoogleDocs.



I have tested my scanning app, and it has passed.  This is a keeper!

Here you can tell I just scanned notebook paper.
You can choose to make the scan black and white,
or keep the original color.



This was a hard test for the scanner app, and TurboScan passed.
Here is a really (obviously) old document in business card form,
it also was laminated.  Besides the camera flash covering "American"
the scan was great. 


Ok, here is a book cover I scanned.  The color as you see,
is very altered even missing in some places.
The scanning app is designed for text but I will say in
black and white this scan wasn't half bad.



Just a photo I took with my camera to show what the cover actually looked like.






Different items you can scan are; Documents, Business cards, Receipts, Notes, and White boards.


     There are many different scanning apps out there on the market, some are free and others -from what I've seen- range from about $2.99-$6.99 and for many there is an option to choose free and upgrade later if you like using the app.  Here I've listed a few.

Paid:
Scanner Pro
JotNot Scanner Pro
ScanBizCards
TurboScan (that's mine)

Free
Scan Pages
Genius Scan
JotNot Scanner (This can be upgraded to JotNot Scanner Pro)



My Paper was scanned, and e-mailed to my teacher in moments.  Time saver!

No, the above was not my whole paper.  The rest could be typed up.

Let me know if you have an app you want a review for!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my fricker. This just blew my mind. Infact I may have just yelled a little bit. This is the greatest school related app besides the calculator to ever have been created. Apple wins again. One day I'll have an Iphone... one day. Solid post steff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with JoJo in everything haha

    ReplyDelete