Sunday, November 6, 2011

What's in a Name?

So it's getting really late and that's when my brain seems to jump from topic to topic and right before going to bed I want to ask a question.

Q. What's in a Name?

Now I'm not in love with someone who my father is trying to kill (although it's likely that day will come), nor am I Shakespeare who penned the question.

I was just looking in the U.S. Census Bureau at the top surnames (last names) in the last count.

The top 10 are as follows: (give it room for errors, the government can't know everything)

1. Smith -  Big Surprise.  How many years has this name been first?
2. Johnson -  I hear it often, my great-grandmother's maiden name was Johnson.
3. Williams -  I am privileged to know a reputable family with this name.
4. Brown -  A close friend has the last name and is lucky he wasn't named Charlie!
5. Jones -  Whenever I think of this name, I think of neighbors or something.
7. Miller -  My mother reads the Amish books of; Miller and Yoder.
8. Garcia -  This is the first time a Hispanic name has made top 10 in America.
9. Rodriguez -  Along with Garcia, this name replaced Moore and Taylor this year.
10. Wilson -  I think of an old couple (sorry to anyone with the last name, but they are a nice couple!)

Here just for comparison.
And even though I only was going to mention ten, I'll note that Martinez almost bested Wilson for the tenth seat.  Martinez is my mother's maiden name.  :)  I see more Martinezs er, Los Martinez, then I could count.

Anywho (as a Southern "Newfield" says),  It's just something to ponder.  Not long hours in a garden while the rain is pouring on you, but maybe on a bus waiting for your stop, reading the newspaper headlines in the {hands of the} sketchy man in front of you.


Ok, now I gotta go catch some missing Zzz's!

*Edit's per comments! :)

3 comments:

  1. Reading the newspaper inside the man in front of you? You must have x-ray vison and he must have been quite hungry. And perhaps named Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hannah... What is this "newspaper man" business?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Won't find Musick on those lists. Good, solid, unusual name. Steen too.

    ReplyDelete