Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Hunger for the Games



ONE WILL WIN





    My nearest and dearest friends had talked about this book and insisted that The Hunger Games is a must read.  I admit, my motives for picking the book up was more like; I like fast-action type books, Conversation starters and debate enders "I've read that," I even thought I'll just read it quickly and get it over with.

I couldn't have been more wrong...


     After a slow day, I sat down to read the first few chapters.  Eminently, I became part of the story itself.   Katniss was climbing up a tree, her lengthy brown braids swaying, reaching for her quiver against her back.  As if I'm with her I feel the course bark of the trees, smell the herbs entwined at its trunk, taste the early morning air.  Nothing could hold be back or bring me from my trance.  I stayed up until 4am finishing the book.


   The resolve I expected never came, there was this gnawing craving for more, I must have more.  I'm pretty sure I texted my friend Hannah right then and there.  Sleep was only an instinct that night.  The next morning -pardon, a few hours later-  was worse.  There was no realization of food or fixing my hair (must of looked pretty bad now that I look back) and I think I started singing when I got the text saying Hannah would bring it that night.  

   I was courteous to my friends we made small talk, but I couldn't wait to go home and read!  I don't think I even changed to PJ's.  I just opened Catching Fire, the second book and was gone.  Breathing in the words off the page. 


"I remain at the window long after the woods have swallowed up the last glimpse of my home.  This time I don't have even the slightest hope of return."

-Katniss, Catching Fire Chapter 14


    This time I become more involved with the plot, trying to single out friends from foes.  Still, I'm with her on that train, knowing that nothing good will come and yet still forever facing fate.

    Sequels are the bane of both books and movies alike. (Esp. Movies) sometimes it's as if the author used up whatever magic they had with the original.  No so with Catching Fire, the plot thickens and the tension is so thick you couldn't cover it with a bridal dress.  ;)
Whatever you do don't expect freedom, the hunger for more will consume you.  Best way to deal with it is to live in the characters mind set, mentally work out who are your real allies.




    I have yet to read Mockingjay; I'll be texting Hannah soon.
Although I do have one video to show you, a friend posted this and how could I finish my blog without the Peeta vs. Gale battle going down.

I personally am a Peeta fan, but I haven't had years of illegal hunting with Gale so I'm not in a way to judge Katniss.  Let me know your choice.

Check these out if you are still having trouble deciding, I wish Katniss could.

Sing off Battle  - It's a spoof, pretty epic and the boys aren't bad looking either.

Sing off Battle (w/ lyrics)  - Same as above, only the lyrics make it funnier.

Movie Trailer - Shows at least the faces of the actors in the upcoming film.

 ❖ ❖ ❖

If you need more info check out the fans and author's websites.

Scholastic/ Author website
Author website

Movie website
Lego trailer version ;)
Also Facebook has many interactive games and clips, info on actors and more.




May the odds ever be in your favor. . . 

. . .Count against it       :) 






2 comments:

  1. Amazing song def made my day! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome ;) Charlieissocoollike, Percy Jackson, the Hunger Games; what would you guys do without me to introduce you to these wonders? Sleep, probably. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete