Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Western Repeat?


My book review for...





 His Steadfast Love
A Civil War Novel

by Golden Keyes Parsons




Have you read many Western Romances Novels?  If you are a die-hard fan, my measly little blog won't make a difference.  I enjoy western tales, and romance makes it all the better.

There is a point in which you can read too many books with the same plot.  Where you know what's happening next to the Amish woman and her fancy guy, or if they switch it up a bit, he's Amish and she is  fancy.   My mother had her three favorite Amish romance series and each one had more then five books two inches thick.  Yes, the first one was great, after that it became a pattern of See-Like-Love-Hate-Regret-Love.

His Steadfast Love, isn't an Amish romance.  It might of well have been, the main characters; Amanda Belle, and Kent Littlefield, were on opposing sides of the Civil war.  The conflict makes for a great story, and I'll admit one does fall in love with the characters, but it took over a third of the book for me to do so.

One of the reasons it was hard to focus in wasn't the books fault at all, this was the first e-book I have ever read (that was over five pages) and it took me a while to get used to even flipping the page.  After finishing this book, I finally can connect with a story on an e-reader.

My ratings:
★ An amazing mix of history and romance.
One can tell there was an enormous amount of research involved in the making of this book.
★ The price was great for the novel.  Online you can find it in the $10-$15 category.
I got a free reviewers copy at Booksneeze®.
★ The ending.
The characters have a high sense of morals, and it didn't just end happily ever after, the aftermath of the war was a struggle.  They had to fight with everything to keep their own families together.
☆ The start is very slow.
☆ It has the same feeling as many other romance novels.
☆ I don't particularly care for the father's role in this story.

This novel gets three stars, it is a good book and one of the better western/war romances,  there are just too many out there to fully enjoy this story.  If you are needing a light break from a busy work week, I would suggest this book.  The hopelessromantic type will love this story.

As winter closes around us, keep warm with hot cocoa and books.



No comments:

Post a Comment