Thursday, October 20, 2011

Digging too deep






Winnie the Pooh
And fond childhood memories 


Deep in the hundred acre woods, where Christopher Robin plays. . .
Are you the child whose parents cuddled you at night and read chapters of Pooh's Adventures and other bedtime tales.  Or were you plopped in front of the screen and in went the VHS? (don't tell me it was DvD yet, it wasn't!)  Either way this stuff n' fluff really means a lot to you.  What if I told you that characters aren't created out of thin air, but are mixed from something more.  (Yes, even I know that the writer's son was Christopher, and that he had stuffed animals.)  Where I'm going is much deeper so hang on tight!
Let's look at the character traits of seemingly simple playmates.

Did you ever just want to super-glue his tail on?  Or at least use a screw?
Eeyore:  This one is most obvious, sad, gloomy and nothing ever goes right.  It almost sounds like "emos," even in a make-believe world,  reality is leaking through the pages.
He is always watching out for Roo.
Tigger: Happy, fun loving, bouncy, don't forget just a little bit spacey. This describes clearly someone I know.  
He is always in his garden.
Rabbit: Bossy, always planning, means well and is very organized. Thinks himself very clever.
(this is mostly me I'm, shall we say "strong willed.")
Dyk he can't spell "Owl?"
Owl: You try and be polite, and he really does know something. He just talks. So. Much.  On and on about nothing.  Are you starting to see my point? I hope so! 
P.S. I love his tree house!
Piglet's good times
Piglet:  S-c-cared s-s-stiff-f no matter how hard you try and help them. (If you pay them any attention, they are the best friends)
Roo having fun
Roo:  I don't care what age you are, there is always someone younger looking up to you. 
Whenever we see Kanga we see Roo!
Kanga:  That sweet person you know, maybe a Mother, grandmother, or neighbor.  
And for some reason It always bothered me that she was the only girl, unless you read the books and then there is “Lottie” the otter.  (Sorry, if you have always thought Piglet was one, and I burst your bubble.)
Everyone's favorite bear.
And Pooh. . . Loves the sweet things in life, maybe a little slow, but he's always there for  you.  Even “a bear of very little brain” shows courage.
Gopher and his stick
Gopher's not in the book, but we see workaholics everyday.  His amazing network of tunnels. 

This would be the kind Heffalump.
This fellow looks sly.  
Don't forget those Heffalumps and Woozles “. . .because they covet everything thing you prize.”
These are not all the characters and if you see common links between life and the plushy stuffed creatures, then comment below to add them to the story. 
I hope you at least get a glimpse at what I see in these beloved children's books. 

3 comments:

  1. You just brought back so many awesome memories and tiggers song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Winnie the Pooh!!! I did used to watch VHS tape of him...like when the Tigger movie came out?? Haha,now I want to go home and find that...it must be burried somewhere!

    ReplyDelete